Default Database Purging

We realise that a lot of the hosts or hostee listings are probably out of date, so we’ve been thinking long and hard about clearing Pick-Me/Hostee.net over the past few months.
    We thought we could e-mail all users and get them to reply to keep their listing on the website, but this would mean a lot of administration work for us to flag accounts as active, a feature which we don’t have.

Unfortunately, we’ve come up with the best solution to our troubles, why unfortunately? this is because we have decided to delete EVERYONE from the hosts/hostee databases, to effectively start over from scratch.

We know that this might be of inconvenience to our newer users who has just signed up with Pick-Me, but in order to refresh the database to clean out the inactive users, this is the only solution that will work the most effectively.
    When will we be purging the database, is unknown as yet, however all registered users will be informed of our ideal date before we purge the database so that they have time to copy any information from their listing if they require. We’ll also be informing all users once the database has been purged that they are welcome to re-signup if they wish to.

We do apologise for making this decision, but as part of keeping our listings up-to-date this is something that we may think of doing on a yearly basis, however, having said that, we are working on a solution to whereby users can delete their listings manually.

More details will be available in the coming days.
    You can discuss this announcement below
    Chris,
    The Number One

I think this is a necessary move, and I am all for it. It also gives existing hosts a chance to sign up again and gain new hostees through renewed exposure.

Hi beatifique,

We agree that this move will give existing hosts & hostees a chance to sign up again to increase their exposure, whilst we have our downsides about deleting the whole database, we feel that this is the best way forwards, as some host/hostee listings have been modified to "say already hosted" / "delete me" / etc.

At the same time, we are working on including a delete listing button to our listings to enable hosts/hostees to delete their listing from the database once they no longer require hostees or hosts. When this has been finalized, hopefully within the next few days, we will announce the deletion of the listing database.

At this moment in time though, we are looking at scheduling this on Saturday, June 19, although this is to be confirmed hopefully wednesday/thursday via our newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by beatifique View Post
    I think this is a necessary move, and I am all for it. It also gives existing hosts a chance to sign up again and gain new hostees through renewed exposure.
    Chris,
    The Number One

We Just wanted to let you all know, that the database purging has now been scheduled to take place.

As a result of this, we have disabled new signups to our Hosts and Hostees listings.

The database purging has been scheduled to take place on Wednesday June 23. This will take place at around noon CST (10am PST, 1800pm GMT)

We would like to take this opportunity to remind existing users of Pick-Me.net to note down their details, as all these WILL BE LOST when we run the database purge on Wednesday.

We're sorry if this is of inconvenience to you, but unfortunately this is the best possible way that we can refresh our member list to ensure that all our listings are up to date.
    Chris,
    The Number One

Default Database Purging Completed!

Sorry that it took so long to sort out, but we had problems with some new coding!!
    We Just wanted to let you all know, that the database purging has now been completed and our hosts and hostee database has been cleaned out!

We were going to add the ability to add your facebook and twitter usernames to your listings as a point of contact, but sadly this didn't go too well as planned. Because of the length of time it took to try and sort this out, we have reverted Pick-Me to the old site coding so that we could open the listings once again for you to signup. We will still be working on modifying our coding offsite.

We've also made some changes to the way that you update your listing. As before, we e-mail you a unique password which you use with the e-mail address that you have signed up with to login to the change listing page. This page now has a DELETE button at the bottom of the edit listing page which will delete our listing from the database. We urge you to take advantage of this delete button when you have found a host or hostee. This has been added to help us keep Pick-Me.net up to date as possible by enabling our users to delete their listing without any fuss.

We hope that we'll be seeing you once again on Pick-Me and we look forward to seeing your listing pop up on our database.
    Chris,
    The Number One